5 Effective Home Remedies for Cough
Cough is a reflex movement that happens as mucus flows from the back of the throat. It's an indication that the body is attempting to clear the path for breathing! As quickly as we begin to struggle from irritation of the throat, we start looking for popular home remedies to cure the symptoms and irritation of cough. These five remedies work brilliantly in getting rid of cough!
1. Spiced Tea Ginger Powder, Cinnamon Powder, and Cloves are all proven to refresh your system from the inside. Such hot spices subtly alleviate coughing and help in clearing up a runny nose. This natural remedy can be made by just adding ½ a teaspoon of ginger powder, a few cloves, and a pinch of cinnamon! Be sure to take the tea at night, as statistically, your coughing symptoms show up at night the most.
2. Turmeric Milk Turmeric is an ingredient that is found in almost all Indian kitchens. It is known for its strong antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in medical problems such as cough and cold! Turmeric, combined with warm milk and garlic or ginger, is a common and successful way to protect yourself against cold and cough. Drinking a cup of hot garlic turmeric milk before bed heals you faster. Make sure you drink the milk hot as it will help bring the phlegm up from your chest!
3. Marshmallow Who would have thought that marshmallow would help in ending your cough? The roots and leaves of the herbs that make marshmallows have been used in ancient times to cure the symptoms of cough.
Adding these herbs to your warm cup of tea will surely soothe your throat!
4. Salt and Water This home remedy might be the oldest ones in the book, yet very few try it! Even though it seems like a simple remedy, it will help your cough go away quickly. To make this remedy, all you need is ¼ or ½ tablespoon of salt and about 8 ounces of water. Once mixed, gargle the salt-water in your mouth for a minute then spit it out. Repeat a couple more times, and your throat will be relaxed, if not cured.
5. Honey Honey is recognized for its anti-inflammatory effects. You may create this unique remedy at home by combining up to 2 teaspoons of honey with lemon and herbal tea or boiling water.
Honey is soothing, while lemon juice can greatly help with congestion. You can even consume a spoonful of warm honey or spread it on a slice of toast. Honey is generally more powerful than your typical over-the-counter drugs and medicine that often include cough suppressants such as dextromethorphan.
Why spend unnecessary time getting an appointment with a doctor and wasting money on buying medicines when these natural and easy home remedies work wonders!
You May Also Like: Home Remedies For Bloating